8.19.2004

Judge tells teens to fear rape in prison

A judge in Winnipeg, Canada told two teenagers that they can look forward to being repeatedlyraped in prison if they did not straighten themselves out. This after pleading guilty to three armed robberies in the Winnipeg area.

The Tokyo Gaijin can relate to this story very well. While I was attending Stony Brook University I was pulled over for speeding while I was late to a class. WHen the cop ran my license he found that I had not paid for a ticket and my license was suspended. He gave me a ticket for a 3rd degree Misdemeanor Aggrevated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle. So after numerous appearances before a judge in Suffolk County District Court showing that I had indeed paid for the ticket and that my driving record was valid he lectured me on what would happen to me if he really felt like being mean and tossing me in jail.

His exact words, ones I will never forget, were "Son if I send you to jail I know what will happen to a pretty boy like you. You won't be able to sit down for years after you get out. You will be fresh meat." With that the whole court room, and my friend Frank who drove me there, burst into uncontrollable laughter. The judge, instead of demanding order, let them laugh until it hurt.

The prosecutor and myself agreed that I am not a career criminal and we dropped it down to a charge that fines youthe same amount but does not leave you with a criminal record. YAY!! So 500 some odd dollars later and I was free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home